Mahesh Singh is appointed the Flag Officer Commanding Karnataka Naval Area :
An alumnus of National Defence Academy, Rear Admiral Mahesh Singh takes charge as the Flag Officer Commanding Karnataka Naval Area. He was a commissioned into the Indian Navy in January 1987 and he is a recipient of the Nao Sena Medal.
- Chief minister: H. D. Kumaraswamy
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
- Capital: Bengaluru
Assam: Bongaigaon dist admin develops ‘Sankalp’ app to reach out to 1st-time voter:
A Mobile App named ‘Sankalp’ has been developed by the Assam’s Bongaigaon district administration team with the help of NIC (National Informatics Centre) to encourage the first time voters. First time voters will able to sign digital ‘sankalp patra’ to cast their votes on day of polling.
- Assam Capital: Dispur
- CM: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governer: Jagdish Mukhi
Government Says Next Census Of India In 2021:
The Home Ministry announced that the next census of India will be carried out in 2021 with March 1 of that year. The decision has been taken by the central government under the powers conferred by section 3 of the Census Act, 1948 (37 of 1948). For Jammu and Kashmir and snowbound non-synchronous areas of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand, the reference date shall be the first day of October, 2020.
India’s last census was carried out in 2011 when the country’s population stood at 121 crore.
- The Census of India 2011 represents the 15th such operation (since 1872) and the seventh after Independence.
- Home Ministry executive: Rajiv Gauba, IAS, Home Secretary.
GAIL, BHEL sign MoU for development of Solar based power project :
State-owned gas utility GAIL India Ltd has signed MoU with Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) for cooperation in the development of solar power projects. It aims at building a closer strategic partnership between the two Maharashtra PSUs for jointly pursuing commercial solar power projects through participation in tariff / Viability Gap Funding (VGF) based competitive bidding process.
- Gail Industry Type: Energy
- Founded: August 1984
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chairman & MD of Gail: B. C. Tripathi
Business & Finance & Banking
GRSE becomes 1st Indian Shipyard to deliver 100 Warships :
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited has delivered its 100th Warship which is a Landing Craft Utility, L-56, to the Indian Navy today. This has made GRSE the first Indian Shipyard to make and deliver 100 warships to the Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard and Mauritius Coast Guard.
- The 100th Warship, IN LCU L-56 was handed over by Rear Admiral V. K. Saxena, Chairman & Managing Director, GRSE to Lt. Cdr.
- Gopinath Narayanan, Commanding Officer of the Ship.
RBI raises FPI investment limit in G-Secs :
The Reserve Bank of India upped the investment limit for FY2019-20 for foreign portfolio investors (FPI) in Central government securities (G-Secs) to 6 per cent of outstanding stock of securities from 5.5 per cent in FY2018-19. The limit for FPI investment in State development loans (SDLs) and corporate bonds has been left unchanged at 2 per cent and 9 per cent of outstanding stocks.
- The current limit of 6,49,900 crore, the revised limit for FPI investment in debt for FY2020 has been set atRs. 6,98,300 crore for the first half, and Rs. 7,46,500 crore for the second half of the financial year.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Sports & Awards
South Korea defeat India in Azlan Shah Cup final:
India was defeated by the South Korea in the penalty shootout of the final of Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2019. 17th Ranked South Korea defeated World number 5, India to won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup which was held at Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh, Malaysia. India lost the match by 4-2 in the penalty shootout after regulation time ended 1-1.
- President of South Korea: Moon Jae-in Trending
- Capital: Seoul
- Currency: South Korean won
Red Cross to distribute aid in Venezuela next month :
The Red Cross announced that it is to aid Venezuela in two weeks. It also said it would not allow any political “interference” in the operation. Francesco Rocca, head of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent said that the organisation would begin distributing aid that President Nicolás Maduro has to date refused to allow into the country, leaving it stockpiled since mid-February on the borders with Colombia and Brazil.
- Venezuela Capital: Caracas
- President of Venezuela: Nicolás Maduro
Science & Technology
Shanghai becomes world’s 1st district with 5G coverage:
China’s Shanghai claimed to have the world’s first district with 5G coverage and a broadband gigabit network. It has conducted trial runs of the 5G network. The trial runs of the 5G network started in Shanghai’s Hongkou district. 5G base stations had been deployed over the last three months to ensure full coverage in Hongkou.
- Capital of China: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- President of China: Xi Jinping
April 1st to 7th- Prevention of Blindness Week:
Prevention of Blindness Week. Prevention of Blindness Week 2019 will be celebrated from 1st of April (Monday) to 7th of April (Sunday). The Prevention of Blindness Week campaign is planned by the Government of India which is held from 1st to 7th April for increasing the awareness towards the blind people.
- Free eye camps are held to provide eye health education, preventing measures of the congenital eye diseases through the rubella and measles vaccination.
- Varieties of posters, leaflets are displayed at the schools for better awareness were given.