India’s first yarn bank to cater to powerloom weavers :
In order to avoid fluctuation in yarn prices, Ministry of Textiles has started Yarn bank, a first of its kind in Karnataka, to help thousand of weavers at the Mysore Powerloom Silk Manufacturers Cooperative Society by ensuring steady supply of silk yarn and zari.
- Currently, the weavers from southern Karnataka have to source yarn locally through agents and wholesalers.
- The Centre aided bank will purchase yarn at the wholesale rate from producers, then it will be sold to the subscribing weavers at reasonable rates to sustain production.
- The current Minister of Textiles is Smriti Zubin Irani.
- The current Minister of Textiles for Karnataka is H. D. Kumaraswamy, CM of Karnataka.
EC comes up with PWD app for over two lakhs Divyang voters in Maharashtra :
In Maharashtra, Election Commission has come up with a mobile application called ‘PWD’ for making voting easier and implement the poll body’s slogan of Accessible Elections for over two lakhs Divyang voters across the state. The app would facilitate Divyang voters special facilities including wheelchairs, ramps and transport from home at polling booths during the Lok Sabha elections.
- Maharashtra will witness voting in four phases, starting from April 11.
- Maharashtra Capital: Mumbai
- CM of Maharashtra: Devendra Fadnavis
- Governor of Maharashtra: Chinamani Vidyasagar Rao
Nuclear, chemical training facility Abhedya inaugurated :
The state of the art Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Training Facility (NBCTF) named ABHEDYA of Indian Navy has been commissioned at INS Shivaji, Lonavla in Mumbai by Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM AVSM ADC, Chief of the Naval Staff. The NBCTF, christened “Abhedya”, impenetrable in Sanskrit, will help train personnel of naval ships fitted with nuclear, biological and chemical detection and protection systems.
- INS Shivaji is celebrating its platinum jubilee year in 2019-20.
- It will provide training to naval personnel in detection, protection against and decontamination of nuclear, biological and chemical agents.
- It was constructed by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL).
- The theme of the logo of technical training establishment is “Propelling the Indian Navy since 1945”.
India, Sri Lanka Set to Begin Annual ‘Mitra Shakti’ Army Exercise :
The joint training exercise MITRASHAKTI – VI between Indian and Sri Lanka Army is being held at Diyatalawa in Sri Lanka. The exercise is designed to enhance interoperability and mutual understanding between both the armies and build a relationship based on professional respect, personal bonding and extensive training interaction.
- Sri Lanka Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- President: Maithripala Sirisena
IAF inducts first four CH-47F(I) Chinook heavy-lift helicopters:
Indian Air Force (IAF) today formally inducted the four heavy-lift Chinook helicopters. Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa announced the induction at a ceremony held at Air Force base in Chandigarh. Chinook helicopters will be deployed at Chandigarh’s Air Force Station 12 Wing. Regarded as one of the most modern heavy lift chopper, the payload capacity of Chinook is about 10 tonne, as it is able to lift artillery, vehicles, road construction and engineer equipment as well as troops and supplies to mountainous sectors. It can also lift M-777 ultra-light howitzers of the Indian armed forces.
- India has purchased 15 Chinooks for $1.5 billion. The delivery of remaining helicopters is expected to be completed by 2023.
- The Indian Air Force is the air arm of the Indian Armed Forces. Its complement of personnel and aircraft assets ranks fourth amongst the air forces of the world.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 8 October 1932, India
- Motto: Touch the Sky with Glory
Business & Finance & Banking
SWIFT Violation: RBI Slaps Rs 2-Crore Fine On Punjab National Bank :
The RBI has slapped a penalty of Rs 2 crore on Punjab National Bank (PNB) for non-compliance of regulatory directions with regard to SWIFT operations. SWIFT is a global messaging software used for transactions by financial entities.
- Society for World Wide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) is a network which enables the financial institutions worldwide to send and receive information about the financial transactions in a secure manner.
- The misuse of SWIFT messaging software has lead to the massive Rs.14000 Cr fraud in the PNB which attracted the penalty.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters of RBI: Mumbai
Apple Partners With Goldman Sachs And Mastercard For Apple Card :
Apple Inc & Goldman Sachs Group Inc jointly launched the Apple Card credit card for iPhones. The card is tied to Apple Pay, a service that allows people to load banking information and pay in store or use it for purchases online. Apple card is a virtual credit card that can be integrated into the Wallet app of the iPhone.
- Through the Apple Wallet App the application for Apple Card can be made and the uses can also trade expenses on a daily, weekly, monthly or even category-wise basis.It can be used online and offline.
- Apple Inc. CEO- Tim Cook
- Headquarters- California, USA.
Sports & Awards
Lingshui china masters badminton tournament 2019 :
On 17th March 2019, the 2019 Lingshui Masters Badminton Tournament held in Agile Stadium in China. This was the first Super 100 Tournament of the 2019 BWF World Tour.The tournament was organized by the Chinese Badminton Association and sanctioned by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- Weng Hongyang won the Men’s Singles title in tournament.
- Kim Ga-eun (South Korea) won the Women’s Singles title in tournament.
- The Super 100 Tournament commenced on 12th March with a total prize money of USD 75000.
China crowned Badminton Asia Mixed Team Championships winners :
China defeated Japan 3-2 to win the 2019 Badminton Asia Mixed Team Championships. This was the second edition of the tournament. 11 teams including India was part of this tournament that was held in Queen Elizabeth Stadium in Hong Kong. The event was also known as the Tong Yun Kai Cup 2019 named after the president of the Hong Kong badminton association.
- In the mixed doubles, Chinese pair He Jiting and Du Yue has defeated apanese pair Yuta Watanabe and Arisa
- In the men’s doubles, Yugo Kobayashi and Takuro Hoki of China beat Han Chengkai and Zhou Haodong of Japan.
- In the women’s doubles, Li Yinhui and Du Yue won for China by beating Ayako Sakuramoto and Yukiko Takahata.
World’s largest e-waste recycling hub opens in Dubai :
The world’s largest e-waste recycling plant has been opened in Dubai Industrial Park, Dubai by ‘Enviroserve’ company with a total cost of $5 million. It will recycle Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE), IT asset disposition (ITAD), refrigerant gas and specialized waste.
- The processing capacity of this recycling hub is 100,000 tonnes of total integrated waste (per year), of which 39,000 tonnes is e-waste.
- The recycling hub will use state-of-the-art reclamation technology, which beat the European Union’s standards for e-waste.
- The project is supported by the Swiss Government Export Finance Agency.
- Prime Minister of UAE: Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Pakistan approved Sharada Peeth Corridor proposal for Hindu Pilgrims from India :
After Kartarpur Corridor, now Government of Pakistan has given its consent to the proposal of opening Sharada Peeth Corridor for Hindu Pilgrims to visit Sharada Peeth located in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (POK). Sharda Peeth Corridor will be the second corridor to be established after the Kartarpur Corridor which provides access to Gurudwara Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur in Pakistan.
- The 5000 years old Sharada Peeth is an ancient Hindu temple and cultural site in PoK.
- It is also an ancient centre of learning, dedicated to the Hindu goddess of learning.
- Sharada Peeth is believed to be a foremost centre of learning Between the 6th and 12th centuries CE hosting scholars such as Kalhana, Adi Shankara, Vairostana, Kumarajiva and Thonmi Sambhota.
- The current President of Pakistan is Arif Alvi.
Science & Technology
‘Game-Changing’ Network of Under-Ice Lakes Discovered in Antarctic :
On 26th March 2019, an international team of researchers from the Australian Antarctic Program has discovered a network of lakes beneath Totten Glacier, the largest glacier in East Antarctica during their 160-day expedition.
- This considerable amount of water found in these lakes could impact the predicted rise of the sea level by about seven meters.
- Totten Glacier is a large glacier draining a major portion of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet, through the Budd Coast of Wilkes Land.
- Antarctica is the largest desert in the world by area.
ISRO to launch 29 satellites including EMISAT April 1st :
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch 29 satellites including the primary payload EMISAT, on the first of April. Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, PSLV-C45 will take off from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota tentatively at 9:30 AM carrying the satellites onboard.
- EMISAT has been developed for monitoring radar network by India. An ISRO release says, EMISAT, weighing 436 kg, is intended for electromagnetic spectrum measurement.
- The customer payloads are from Lithuania, Spain, Switzerland and the US. They will be hurled into space at an altitude of about 505 km.
- Chairman of ISRO :Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- Headquarters: Bengaluru.
World Purple day :
Epilepsy Awareness Day which is commonly known as World Purple Day is observed on March 26 in order to encourage the people to wear the colour to increase the awareness of Epilepsy. Nearly 50 million people in the world are having Epilepsy as per the World Health Organization (WHO) which does not have a known cause.
- The day was first observed in 2008 in Nova Scotia, Canada to encourage awareness and cast away the myths on the general public about the decease.
- The mission of the day is to share stories and start conversations about epilepsy and to raise funds.