Voter awareness campaigns held :
In Salem, the district election office conducted various voter awareness campaigns here on Sunday to ensure 100 percent voting in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. As part of Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation programme here, a bus formation in the shape of ‘Vote on April 18’was done at Jawahar grounds here.
- Formed: 25 January 1950
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Jurisdiction: Government of India
- Mr. Thiru Malik Feroz Khan, I.A.S,(R), is the Tamil Nadu State Election Commissioner.
Centre Bans Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Under UAPA :
The Central Government banned Yasin Malik-led Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) under the provisions of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), 1967 as an unlawful association. The move comes days after the Centre banned Jamat-e-Islami (JeI-J&K) under Section 3(1) of the UAPA.
- UAPA is anti-terrorist law aimed at effective prevention of unlawful activities associations in India.
- UAPA bans certain terrorist associations, penalizes membership and association with such organizations and punishes terrorist activities.
- Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) is spearheading the separatist ideology in the Kashmir valley and has been at the forefront of the separatist activities and violence since 1988.
- In accordance with the policy of zero tolerance against terrorism the Centre decided to ban JKLF.
Operation Sunrise:Terror camps on India-Myanmar border destroyed :
The Indian and Myanmar’s armies have, in a coordinated operation, destroyed at least 10 camps belonging to an insurgent group in Myanmar, which had become a threat to India’s mega Kaladan Project in the neighboring country. The Operation was reportedly carried between mid-February to early March. The military action carried out was code named Operation Sunrise.
- The Kaladan project connects Sittwe Port in Myanmar to the India-Myanmar border.
- The project links Sittwe seaport to Lashio in Myanmar via Kaladan river through boat route and then from Lashio to Mizoram in India by road transport
- The Indian Army did not cross into the Myanmar side but there was a massive mobilization along the border, on the Mizoram side.
Indian Air Force to Participate in LIMA 2019
From March 26 to 30th 2019, Indian Air Force will participate in LIMA (Langkawi International Maritime Aero) Expo scheduled to be held in Langkawi, Malaysia. The participation will provide the fighter jets, pilots and other air warriors in LIMA 2019 an opportunity to interact with their Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) counterparts and foster close relationship between the two services, said the IAF. Two Light Combat Aircraft Tejas fighters of the Indian Air Force (IAF) was departed from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda to take part LIMA.
- Tejas, being the world’s lightest supersonic fighter weighs 6,560 kg while the loaded weight is 9,800 kg with a maximum takeoff weight 13,500 kg.
- Other than IAF contingent also consists of one C-130J Super Hercules military transport aircraft and one IL-76 plane along with 27 officers, 42 air warriors and 11 Hindustan Aeronautics Limited personnel.
- The President of India holds the rank of Supreme Commander of the IAF.
- The Chief of Air Staff, an air chief marshal, is a four-star officer and is responsible for the bulk of operational command of the Air Force.
Business & Finance/Banking
RBI again Defers Implementation of Indian Accounting Standards
Reserve Bank of India postponed the implementation of the Indian Accounting Standards (Ind AS) by banks until further notice for the reason of requisite legislative amendments, which are still under consideration of the government. This is the second extension provided by the RBI. Earlier in April 2018, RBI had postponed the implementation of Ind AS by the banks by one year
- Legislative amendments are recommended by the Reserve Bank of India.
- According to Fitch Ratings’ local unit, if the rule had implemented India’s state-run lenders would have had to increase provisions by approx. 1.1 trillion rupees ($16 billion) in the fiscal first quarter (end in June).
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters of RBI:Mumbai
Indian Bank – Carrying ‘Your Own Bank’ tag with utmost pride :
The Chennai-headquartered Indian Bank with over 9400 touch points across the country, has crossed the milestone business level of Rs 4.00 lakh crore. The Bank has featured in the Most trusted brands in the Public Sector Bank category and has been acknowledged as India’s Best Bank. Carrying the tag ‘Your Own Bank’, the Bank is looked upon with pride in India. The Bank launched an industry-first mobile app to block and manage limits of debit card and credit card, the ‘IB Smart Remote’.
- Indian Bank CEO : Padmaja Chunduru
- Headquarters : Chennai
- Tagline: Your own bank
Sports & Awards
In the IPL, Chennai Super Kings(CSK) batsman Suresh Raina made a new record to surpass 5,000 runs
On 23th March 2019, Suresh Raina, a batsman of Chennai Super Kings became the first batsman to make a record by surpassing 5,000 runs in the Indian Premier League in Chennai. Now Virat Kohli who has 4,954 runs needs 51 runs to become the leading run-scorer in the IPL.
- Number of teams in IPL: 8
- Founder: Lalit Modi
- Founded: 2008
Danish badminton player Persson given 18-month ban over betting
Denmark’s Joachim Persson has been banned for 18 months for offences linked to betting and match-fixing. The 36-year-old former world number six was found guilty of “four violations of the code of conduct in relation to betting, wagering and irregular match results”. He was ordered to pay $4,500.
- President of Badminton World Federation: Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen
- Headquarters of Badminton World Federation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Formation: 1934
- Capital of Denmark: Copenhagen
- Currency: Danish Krone
Facebook Announces Artificial Intelligence for Social Good Summit
With a vision to leverage the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to deliver social good, Facebook has announced its inaugural ‘AI for India Summit’ focused on discussing inclusive growth and solutions to the most enduring social challenges. The one-day summit will be held on 26 March in Bangalore. The Summit will bring together key representatives from the AI community in India such as policy makers, start-ups, and the developer community.
- CEO of Facebook : Mark Zuckerberg
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, United States
- CFO: David Wehner
- Founded: February 2004, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
India-funded educational campus inaugurated in Nepal
Educational campus constructed with Government of India’s financial grant of 35.5 million Nepalese rupees was inaugurated. The newly constructed three storey building of Siddheshwar Education Public Campus in Ramechhap district boost the learning environment of students but also enhance access to education to needy, poor and marginalized students of Ramechhap District and adjoining area. As part of the Development Partnership Programme, the Government of India is providing assistance to institutions at all levels from primary schools to universities in Nepal.
- Nepal Capital : Kathmandu
- Currency : Nepalese rupee
- President : Bidya Devi Bhandari
Science & Technology
Italy’s Earth-Watching PRISMA Satellite launched by Vega Rocket
Italy’s new Earth-observation satellite named PRISMA (Precursore Iperspettrale della Missione Applicativa) launched from the Guiana Space Centre by 98 foot (30 meters) tall Vega rocket which was developed by the joint venture of Italian Space Agency and the European Space Agency. The launch took place on Thursday, 21 March 2019, at 10:50 pm local time in French Guiana.
- PRISMA is an electro-optical instrument, which is designed to take medium resolution photos to give information about environmental monitoring, natural resources, pollution and crop health.
- The PRISMA satellite will operate in a sun-synchronous orbit.
- According to an OHB Italia SpA press release, it was manufactured by a temporary joint venture of companies led by LEONARDO SpA and OHB Italia SpA.
World Tuberculosis Day observed on March 24
World Tuberculosis Day was observed on March 24 to raise public awareness about the devastating health, social and economic consequences of tuberculosis. The theme for World Tuberculosis Day 2019 is ‘Its time’ which will draw the attention of the global leaders towards the immediate need to end the global epidemic tuberculosis.
- India achieves 84% fall in TB deaths among HIV affected patients by 2017. The global efforts to combat TB was successful by saving around 54 million lives since 2000. It reduced the mortality rate by 42%.
- Centre and State Government working together to make India TB-free by 2025.
- Headquarter of World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head of World Health Organization: Tedros Adhanom